I’m Nadia, a health and fitness professional, who also happens to LOVE food.
Here at Simple And Fraiche, you'll discover my passion for creating uncomplicated, delicious recipes with clean whole food ingredients. The recipes are gluten-free, and many are also dairy-free and refined sugar-free.
I hope to help you make cooking stress-free and provide you with simple, nutritious, and delicious recipes.
A Taste of My Journey
I grew up in the Pacific Northwest (I’m now a Texan!) in a home where made-from-scratch longtime family recipes were a common theme. I’ve always loved food, and cooking, however, it took me a long time to reconcile that eating “healthy” didn’t mean the food had to be bland. Once I finally came to that realization, my love for cooking was taken to an entirely new level.
Over the years, I have found ways to combine my passions for food and fitness. I owned a gym for 10 years, and I am a Level 4 CrossFit Coach and a certified nutrition coach. I’ve also had the opportunity to teach over 400 CrossFit Seminars globally. Traveling around the world allowed me to experience food from many cultures, and also influenced my cooking.
I am currently an Operations Manager by day, and a food blogger by night!
The Birth Of Simple & Fraiche
In March 2021, after encouragement from family and friends, I launched Simple & Fraiche. This blog is a place where I share my recipes, along with some fitness tips with the purpose of helping those who seek real, nutrient-dense food, but don’t want to skimp on flavor.
Here At Simple & Fraiche, You'll Find:
- Real Food Recipes: My recipes focus on using minimally processed, high-quality, whole foods. All recipes are gluten-free and adaptable to various dietary requirements.
- Easy To Follow, Low Fuss Recipes: For busy souls who crave delicious meals without the hassle, you'll find a treasure trove of uncomplicated, nourishing recipes.
- Customizable Recipes: With gluten-free and dairy-free options, the majority of recipes can be tailored to suit individual preferences. I provide ingredient substitutions and tips to make each meal uniquely your own.
Education, Certifications & Accomplishments
- Bachelor of Arts Degree in Political Science - University Of Washington.
- CrossFit Level 4 Coaching Certification - CrossFit LLC
- Precision Nutrition Certification - Precision Nutrition
- Taught over 400 CrossFit Level 1 & Level 2 Seminars all over the world
- 5 year CrossFit Regional Competitor
- 2 Time Masters National Weightlifting Champion (53kg class, 35-39 division)
- 1 Time Masters World Weightlifting Champion (53kg class, 35-39 division)
Interviews & Media
- Box Pro Magazine - Interview With Nadia Shatila
- Vaughn Weightlifting Podcast - Teach The Movement Not The Cue
- The Pat & Ro Show - Interview With Nadia Shatila
- CrossFit - CrossFit Belltown The Old Curiosity Shop
- CrossFit - Affiliate Commercial For ESPN
- CrossFit - Live It And Breathe It
- CrossFit - The Kipping Pull-Up With Nadia Shatila
- CrossFit - WOD Demo With Dave Lipson, Matt Barnett and Nadia Shatila
My Food Journey
I’ve always loved food, however, at the height of my athletic career, I ended up focusing mostly on foods and nutrition protocols that would fuel my performance. In turn, I had trouble reconciling that food that could support my performance could also taste great!
I spent many years eating basic and bland foods cue plain chicken breast, veggies, and rice while relishing my weekly cheat meal. I’ve had plenty of experience following the Zone, Paleo, Macros, and Intermittent Fasting protocols. In this current season of life, I’m happy to say that bland food (for the sake of eating healthy) is no longer part of my lifestyle. Simple and Fraiche was born to share that you can eat in a way that supports health and performance, while still enjoying your favorite foods and with tons of flavor!
Some Of My Favorite Recipes
Q&A With NADIA:
My husband and I were watching South Park one evening, the episode we were watching was titled "Crème Fraîche”. Randy, became obsessed with the Food Network and quit his job to pursue his passion for food. As my husband and I were laughing hysterically, he turned to me and said, you should name your blog Simple and Fraiche. I thought it was fun, and the rest is history.
Yes! I am focused on gluten-free cooking, but if you tolerate gluten, you can still make the recipes, non-gluten-free!
I love making a hearty Italian meat sauce—something like my Linguini Bolognese.
When I’m not in the kitchen, I love spending time at home with my family. My favorite activities include working out, going for walks, gardening, listening to podcasts, and binge-watching reality TV.