In early 2018, after getting sucked into a YouTube vortex of “clean beauty” videos, I felt inspired to research the beauty products I’d been using for a number of years. I immediately began to panic in what I found, as my research quickly confirmed my suspicions; the products I loved contained many, many toxins.
Some of my favorites, such as my former tried-and-true Oil of Olay face cream that I had been using for the past seventeen YEARS, contained propylparaben which is an endocrine disruptor (among other things). My favorite “clean” toothpaste … same thing.
Moving Towards Better
For me, it’s not about being perfect, but rather doing my best to make educated choices about the products I use. I view beauty products similarly to food. While the majority of the time I do my best to eat whole foods that are organic, gluten free and high quality, however I also enjoy going out to eat from time to time. The same thing goes with beauty products.
I’m not going to lie, making a change was daunting at first. I tried a lot of “clean” products, and even made my own DIY face wash, however, always having to “research” each and every product was a bit overwhelming, and honestly I was not impressed with the “clean beauty” products I tried. My skin began breaking out and I was tempted to go back to my “Oil of Olay” face cream and St Ives Exfoliating Face wash, as I rarely had breakouts when using those products.
Making the Switch To Beautycounter
Enter Beautycounter. I came across their products on Social Media and read multiple rave reviews about their skin care lines, however it took me a while to actually purchase anything. After reading about the Beautycounter mission and their commitment to clean beauty, I decided to try the Countermatch Regimen Set -It was game over from there.
I’ve now been using Beautycounter products for over a year and half, and I love it! It can be overwhelming (and not to mention expensive) to swap out all of your beauty products at once, however, if you are looking to make the switch to safer beauty products, you can take it one step at a time. When I started using Beautycounter, I had already swapped out my deodorant and toothpaste for safer options. Next came my face cleansers and creams, and now I’m in the process of swapping the rest of my make-up. You can take it one step at a time.
I recently became a Beautycounter Consultant in hopes to help others make the switch to safer skin care. If you are interested in learning more about Beautycounter, and their products, or what products might be right for you, please feel free to email me. I’d be thrilled to help you in any way possible. You can also shop with me through my Beautycounter Page.
If you are looking for somewhere to start, here are my current top 5 Beautycounter products I am loving right now!
- Counter + Charcoal Cleansing Bar: This is my daily go to cleansing bar! It is formulated with Binchotan charcoal powder to help detoxify and absorb impurities in skin without drying it out, resulting in a smoother, brighter complexion.
- Countercontrol Clear Pore Cleanser: This is my absolute favorite cleanser, it replaced my St Ives Exfoliating Cleanser, and I will never look back! As mentioned, my skin is prone to breakouts, and this product has helped keep the breakouts at bay.
- Countermatch Adaptive Moisture Lotion: Hands down the best daily moisturizer I have ever used. It is lightweight and adapts to your skin throughout the day. I have combination skin and love that it keeps my skin hydrated without feeling greasy.
- Skin Twin Featherweight Foundation: Okay. I have N-E-V-E-R been a foundation girl, until I tried this product. I love that it provides nice coverage, and blends seamlessly into the skin for a natural look.
- Countertime Tetrapeptide Supreme Cream: I love me a THICK nighttime face cream. A little goes a LONG way with this cream. I love waking up each morning with my face feeling hydrated and uber soft. This cream supports elasticity and visibly firms while minimizing the look of fine lines and wrinkles.
Again, if you have any questions about Beautycounter and what products might be right for you, please don’t hesitate to reach out.